Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Cutting Costs on Book Buying

We love books. Er, I should say, *I* love books. I have learned that a great way to cut my book costs is to try to find whatever it is I think I need at the local library first. I am a very fast reader, so to buy books is somewhat counter-intuitive. It is really silly for me to buy cook books, for instance, because I can find any recipe I want online in about 5 seconds using Google.

If I feel I must buy a book, I check my favorite online book price comparison site, AddAll. You can compare book prices using titles, authors, or ISBN numbers. It is pretty neat. I have found that Overstock.com typically beats out Amazon in prices for books, but I always check around.

If you're OK with buying used, then check eBay or Half.com. Great deals there!

If you're a homeschooler, then the best place to find great curriculum for great prices are the following:
Farm Country General Store
Rainbow Resource
Rock Solid Inc.

For magazine subscriptions, check eBay first. I have been amazed at the deals they offer on subscriptions. Just be sure to read the fine print, and buy from a seller with a 99% positive feedback. Better yet, get the magazines from the library, then you don't have to throw them away.

Ahhhhh... so many books, so few bookshelves. If you must buy books, buy smart and do your homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment