Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Someone Should Have Warned Me About This... Crochet Addiction!

Last November I decided I wanted to learn how to crochet after seeing some beautiful prayer shawls my friend Shelly had made. So, I picked up some yarn and some hooks, and immersed myself in Youtube how-to-crochet videos. I snooped around at Crochetville and Ravelry, and lots of little cute blogs, like Attic 24. Seriously, peek into Lucy's attic and you'll be blessed with wonderful colors and lovely items.

I've learned a few things along the way, not the least of which is that crocheting is entirely addictive. Who knew? A few other things I've learned:

  • Bamboo hooks feel great
  • Buy your bamboo hooks on eBay
  • It's normal to start a lot of projects and leave them unfinished
  • Yarn is not cheap
  • One can never have too much yarn
  • Some things should never be crocheted
I'm posting a pic of one of my WIPS (work in progress). I love to make baby blankets, and since I'm a MOPS mentor mom, I have the opportunity to have a purpose for my addiction. The baby blanket I'm making now is comprised of 5 different colors of yarn, which seemed like a good idea at the time. I had several colors, and thought this would be a good way to get rid of extra yarn. Ha! As always, I didn't anticipate how much yarn a project would take, and how many loose ends I'll have to tie up when I'm done. But it will be so soft and nice and colorful!



Occasionally I'll peek in over at What Not to Crochet just to make sure my moral yarn compass is functioning properly. Seriously, there are things that simply shouldn't be put to hook and yarn.

So, beware of crochet addiction!


No comments:

Post a Comment