Saturday, March 15, 2008

Simplifying Homeschooling


I've been homeschooling for, let's see... thirteen years now, and the best advice I ever got was from Inge Cannon herself, at my very first homeschooling conference. When I told her of my intention to teach my 5 year old eldest child, she said, "Whatever you do, DON'T sit the boy down for two or more hours a day and make him follow a curriculum."

A few years later, while pregnant with my fifth child, my husband and I went to hear Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore speak. The conference was about an hour away - very uncomfortable with an 8 month pregnant woman, but I digress. If you are unfamiliar with the Moores, they advocate starting formal education for children later, rather than earlier. For more information, you may check this website.

I have been advocating simple homeschool from the start. It always just made sense to me that if my children could read well, write, and think mathematically / logically, they could in turn learn about anything they needed or wanted to learn about not only in "school" but in life. My goal was and is to foster a love of learning.

Today I found a fantastic list from Colette Longo entitled, "Ten Ways to Simplify Homeschooling" While I have never used the Robinson Curriculum, I wholeheartedly agree with Ms. Longo's ideals. Hop on over to the article and read it.

If you're homeschooling children, or plan to do so, then let Ms. Longo's words dwell in your mind as you try to figure out how your homeschooling adventure will unfold. Her wise words apply not only to toddlers, but to students of all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment