Thursday, April 29, 2010

Solar Sails and Man Made Stars


I will admit to a fascination with all things "space". A reasonable explanation could be my early introduction to the original Star Trek TV series back in the 60's. Then in 1977 I fully immersed myself in the Star Wars saga, for better or worse.

Now, years later, after enjoying many more cool science-y shows & movies, my inner nerd seems to be doing quite well.

Yesterday I read an amazing article about how the Japanese are preparing to fire off a solar sail powered spacecraft. OK, I thought it was AMAZINGLY cool to see the evil Count Dooku in a solar sail ship in Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (for the nerds among us, it was a Punworcca 116 class interstellar sloop...). So I am pretty excited to see if the concept of a solar sail powered spacecraft will become reality. How cool is that?

On the more scary science front, I read an article today about U.S. scientists who are attempting to build the world's largest laser in order to create a mini star on the surface of the earth in order to harvest its energy. I am not kidding. What? Have they never heard of Doc Oc? Did we learn nothing from Spiderman 2?


As Han Solo would say, "I have a really bad feeling about this..."

No comments:

Post a Comment