Sunday, October 09, 2005

Manna and the Red Sea - a Perspective on Miracles

I had an epiphany of sorts today. I was on my way to church, for the second time (forgot something... it is good to live only a mile and a half from the church)... and I was chatting to the Lord about how LONG it seems between times of big miracles in our lives. You know, those Red Sea Parting moments that we look back upon and say, "Surely only God could have done that!"

Well, I've been in a season of life when it seems like those huge miracles are so far off in the past. Usually it helps for me to reflect upon the goodness of the Lord in the past, to help me make it through a difficult time in the present. We're taught all over in the Word to not forget His blessings, His miracles.

During my little jaunt in the car, I said to the Lord, "God, it sure seems like a LONG time since I've had a Red Sea miracle from you, and it's getting harder to stay positive and reflect on the past when I don't see much happening right now."

In the twinkling of the eye, I sensed the Holy Spirit speak to my heart, and He asked me a question - Was the daily manna I provided for my people any less miraculous than My parting of the Red Sea?"

Oooohhh. Ouch.

You see, I had been looking and waiting so long for a Red Sea miracle that I neglected to see the daily miracle of God's provision in my life. Not just in the physical sense of having enough food to eat, clothes to wear, and a place to live, but also His provision of a loving family, peace and love in my marriage, and a real and living relationship with Almighty God.

Wow!

Lord, teach us to see Your daily manna, and not despise it but be grateful to You for providing it.

Miracles are miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment